Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fall Feast Food Truck Rally at Harriet Brewing

      Found the perfect diversion this weekend for the husband and I, The Fall Feast Food Truck Rally at Harriet Brewing Company.

      Craft beer? 15 food trucks all in one location? FREE admission? Tromping around in cold rain in a parking lot? Well the last bit sounds bad, but it kept the crowds small so I'll gladly take it! Besides, this is Minnesota and the weather only gets worse from here on out, so suck it up.

      First off we need to acknowledge the FREE admission, which is what it should be unlike that abomination of a so-called Food Truck Festival downtown two years ago where you had to pay to simply be in the almighty presence of the food trucks. 

     The lot, yes was small but it was more than adequate especially since the weather was crap. The prize for getting carded at the gate was a wristband which made Harriet craft beer accessible. They used a beer ticket system, the more tickets you purchased the more you saved sort of a deal. Not sure which beer to drink? No problem, the tasting room was open in the front to alleviate that tricky decision and the tap room in the back. 

     So on to the main event, the trucks! We went around in circles to every truck to get the lay of the land before deciding on Twisted Fork for starters, but let me say that this was one of the most difficult decisions I've had in a very long time. There were so many fantastic options and the stomach only has so much room, and I wasn't up to purging (although the onsite port-a-potties were alluring). We also decided to eliminate visiting any food truck we had previously tried to create a short list and in the end Twisted Fork had Walleye Fish Cakes on the menu and I just could not resist!

  The walleye cakes according to Twisted Fork;
       "Three walleye cakes atop a crispy salad mix tossed with red wine vinaigrette. Served with tartar sauce and lemon aioli on the side"
translation; FANTASTIC! I accidentally tipped this food truck more than I meant to, which cause a brief marital discussion... however, after trying a bite I think they may have deserved even more (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Todd got the pastrami sandwich and pronounced it as "pretty much the best thing ever!" Which he said right in front of me... which I guess if I have to take second place in his life I'm glad at least it's after a sandwich from Twisted Fork;

    We sipped some West Side IPA's, which were pretty good and walked around to try and work up some more of an appetite, checking out the grounds. The tables scattered around were pretty full, we ended up using a hammerschlagen table for a ground base to give our cold fingers a break into warm pockets and gloves. There was a live band, and a few other activities going on. 


  So it turns out we didn't have much of an appetite left which was a shame, especially since I saw The Red Pig & Truffle had a Jalapeno Bacon BLT, I was devastated with my stomach's lack of skills today. One guy had it down, he brought a roll of aluminium foil and was sampling and then carefully wrapping and storing several meals into his backpack like a squirrel before winter... note to self for next time, bring hibernation storage supplies.

   Before we left we did decide to hit up one last snack and take it on the way home and that was from the Motley Crews Heavy Metal Grille Crew Food Truck. And while we were sorely tempted with an item titled "My Ex-Husband's Nuts" we settled on a bag of Sweet~N~Heat Pretzels! These small hard pretzels are coated with a brown-sugar, spicy rub that melts in your mouth and at first is sweet and then you feel the heat. It's divine and I shamelessly had some for breakfast this morning. 



    All in all, I will from now on be paying close attention to the MFTA (The Minnesota Food Truck Association) for the next rally, totally worth the drive!


   

2 comments:

  1. Just curious - what were the ingredients of "my ex-husbands nuts"??? Obviously, this will be an annual visit. Describe the majority of the crowd - young, old, odd, ??Thanks.. I really think he meant the best thing ever - "in food" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing! The "ex-husbands nuts" comprised of cinnamon-roasted almonds. They smelled amazing, but I had a hankering for something with some spice! As far as the crowd goes, it was really all ages, felt like a community get-together! There were young families, older families, teens, and older couples besides the typical young adult crowd that normally is attracted to this sort of scene. Ha, yea he might have meant that... Maybe ;) thanks for the comment :) I certainly hope they make this an annual event.

    ReplyDelete